About Frontier Internet
Frontier Communications is a Fortune 500 company founded in 1935. It currently employs 22,000 people and provides internet service in more than half of U.S. states. As with any potential internet service provider, look into Frontier Internet reviews before deciding if it's right for you.
Frontier’s reputation has taken a hit recently as customers across the nation have complained about receiving poor service. The company earned a failing rating from the Better Business Bureau (BBB) for its lack of response to some of these complaints. However, Frontier released a statement acknowledging these issues, saying many are due to transition complications around recent acquisitions and claims it will work diligently to fix them. Take a look at our full review to decide whether or not Frontier is the best choice for you.
Frontier Internet at a glance
- Availability: 29 states
- Speed: Up to 940 Mbps
- Equipment: WiFi router included for first 12 months with Fios Gig Service
- Installation: Choose either professional installation or self-installation, if you qualify
- Bundling Options: TV, phone
Frontier Internet benefits and features
- Free WiFi router: When you sign up for a 12-month Gig Service plan, you get a free WiFi router for the entirety of the plan.
- Symmetrical upload and download speeds: Upload speeds come close to matching download speeds with each service.
- No data caps: All plans offer unlimited data usage every month.
- Online protection: Get Frontier Secure for between $5.99 and $9.99 per month and receive multi-device security, password security, or identity theft protection.
Frontier Internet top plans
50/50 Mbps Internet
This plan currently offers 50 Mbps download and upload speeds. Taxes and fees apply. It’s good for anyone looking to save money on high-speed internet.
500/500 Mbps Internet
The 500/500 plan offers 500 Mbps download and upload speeds. It’s a good option if you need very rapid downloads and uploads.
This plan provides up to 940 Mbps in download speeds and up to 880 Mbps in upload speeds. Anyone looking for lightning-fast speeds, like gamers, will want to look into this plan, although it’s not available everywhere.
Frontier’s DSL internet service provides speeds up to 115 Mbps for downloads. Pricing depends on where you live.
Frontier Internet contracts
You must sign a 24-month contract to qualify for the promotional pricing, and the promo only lasts for the first year. After the first 12 months, your price will increase to the standard plan price. However, Frontier offers no-contract options, as well.
Frontier Internet bundle options
If you want to bundle services, Frontier has several options. You can bundle internet with any of its television services, which range from local-only sports to more than 495 channels. Or add phone service into a bundle through either Internet Voice or Digital Voice. You can also bundle all three together.
Recognition and awards
Unfortunately, Frontier has suffered mostly negative press as of late. It received some of the lowest JD Power Satisfaction ratings in 2019 across the country among all telecom companies, as well as the lowest satisfaction rating calculated by the American Consumer Satisfaction Index (ACSI) in 2019. However, Frontier also improved by two percentage points with the ACSI from 2018 to 2019, which could be a sign of positive changes to come.
Frontier Internet deals and value
- Complimentary Yahoo! email address: Get a free email address through Yahoo! when you join Frontier.
- Free WiFi router: With a 24-month Gig Service plan, you receive a free WiFi router for the first 12 months.
The bottom line
The reviews show there is considerable concern around customer service for Frontier in recent months. But the company does provide high-speed internet to many rural areas that otherwise have had to rely on hotspots or satellite internet. If you live in one of these areas, or you’re in a state with fewer high-speed options available, it may be worth looking into Frontier. It might also be a good option if you’re in an area that offers Gig-speed internet, and you’re looking for super-fast rates.
If you don’t opt for Frontier’s no-contract options, be aware that you might need to sign a two-year contract before you start service, so make sure you know you what you’re signing before you put pen to paper. Call a local dealer to see the exact plans and prices available in your area.
- Service in over half of U.S. states and many rural areas not covered by other high-speed providers
- No-contract options available
- No data caps, and it won't throttle your speed after you use up a certain amount
- Poor customer service reviews
- Requires a 24-month contract to get promotional pricing, which ends after the first year
- Failing grade from the Better Business Bureau
In your area
Should you use Frontier Internet? Setting service concerns aside, if you want fast speeds for gaming, Frontier offers Gig Service in certain areas. Frontier also services many rural areas in the U.S. that other internet providers don't reach. Therefore, if you live outside of an urban zone, Frontier might offer the fastest available speeds for your household.
Frequently Asked Questions
Frontier charges other fees on top of its monthly service rate. Installation costs $75 if you have it professionally done, plus an account activation and equipment delivery and handling fee of $9.99. There's also a broadband router fee of $10 per month for rentals and an Internet Infrastructure Surcharge of $3.99 per month. If your account is disconnected, there's a $9.99 surcharge.